What do costume parties and Bible reading have in common? What about plays and partying? Dice and triangle-shaped cookies? Why, Purim, of course! See how this crazy combination of elements comes together in one of the most fun and happy holidays of the Jewish year.
In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly asks Ezra to summarize the Purim story for you. She also asks him about:
- What the word Purim means
- Purim plays and dramatic readings
- How Purim might look a bit like Halloween to a Gentile
- Traditional Purim foods
Along the way
Along the way, you’ll learn a ton of meaningful, interesting and fun things about Purim, like:
- A famous saying that came right out of the Bible’s Purim story and its deeper meaning
- The funny Jewish summarization of all Jewish holidays
- How things that may seem ordinary or circumstantial are often the hand of God in your life
- The importance of the deliverance of the Jewish people during Esther’s time
- The Yiddish equivalent of “the whole enchilada”
- What the rabbis say about how hard to party at Purim
- The ultimate fulfillment of the destiny of the Jewish people
- A meaningful way the Purim story relates to today’s news and a challenge that hits home
- The commandment of Purim and how the holiday differs from the Levitical Feasts of the Lord
- And – BONUS – there’s a trivia question for you!
Words you might learn in this episode
Pur, Purim, Ahashverosh, Haman, Hadassah, lazman hazeh, Am Yisrael chai, megillah, Megillat Esther, hamantashen, Sukkot
You’ll also learn the meaning of “-im” endings to Hebrew words.
Scriptures referenced in this episode
The book of Esther, Ephesians 6:12
Want a free bag of amazing Ethiopian coffee? Enter our monthly drawing at www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org, and you could win a free bag of Lost Tribes Coffee Co. coffee.
If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? The only way we’re able to continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. Any amount – small or large – helps. Your monthly support helps even more.
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.