Pentecost? Is that the thing in Acts chapter 2 with the rushing wind, the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues?
Well, they’re not going to debate the subject of speaking in tongues, but they are revealing some pretty cool things about how the day of Pentecost – when God gave the Holy Spirit – relates to the Jewish Feast of Shavuot.
Whether you’re Jewish or Gentile, there are things in today’s episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss that you probably didn’t know. They cover:
- What the word Pentecost means
- Why Pentecost is undercelebrated
- What Shavuot is and how it’s observed today
- How Pentecost and the Jewish Feast of Shavuot are related
- Thoughts about Christians celebrating Shavuot
Along the way, you’ll learn other tidbits like:
- Carly’s memories of Pentecost growing up
- How Ezra and his wife observe Shavuot
- The agricultural side of Shavuot
- What Shavuot has to do with Mount Sinai
- The difference the Temple – or lack thereof – has made on Shavuot observance
- Fascinating parallels found between Shavuot and Christianity
- Invitation vs. obligation
- Another great Yiddish word from Ezra’s grandma
Words you might learn in this episode
Pentecost, Shavuot, Shavuah, Yerushalayim/Jerusalem, chag, sukkah, Shabbat, challah, shvitzy
Scriptures referenced in this episode
Acts chapter 2, Deuteronomy 12:5, Exodus 23:14–17, Deuteronomy 16:16, Leviticus 23:16, Matthew 28:18–20, Acts 1:3-11, Luke 24:49, Acts 2:1–4, Acts 2:5–12, Jeremiah 31:31–33, Ephesians 3:14–16, 1 Corinthians 15:1–8, Joshua 24:13, 2 Corinthians 1:22–22, Romans 11:16-24 NKJV
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Enter our monthly drawing at www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org, and you could win a free bag of some of the finest Ethiopian coffee in the world from Lost Tribes Coffee Co.
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know. Let them in on these exciting conversations, and spark some of your own discussions among friends. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss will also help spread the word to others about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.