It’s no secret: Jewish people – most of them anyway – don’t believe Jesus is the Messiah. But what are the fundamental Jewish objections to the idea that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah promised in the Hebrew Scriptures?
In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly and Ezra dig into the Bible to dispel misunderstandings and answer the difficulties Jewish people have with Jesus. They show you that encountering objections from your Jewish friends or family doesn’t have to be the end of the conversation. This episode is loaded with Scripture to help you continue the discussion. They cover what they consider to be the Top 5 Jewish objections to Jesus:
- Jesus is for Gentiles, not Jews
- If Jesus is the Messiah, why is there no peace on Earth?
- Isaiah 53 is about Israel, not Jesus
- Jews believe in one God, but Christians believe in three
- God alone is our Savior, so we don’t need Jesus
Along the way, you’ll learn:
- A crucial precursor to talking to a Jewish person about Jesus
- A common mistake Christians make that actually reinforces a serious Jewish misunderstanding
- How to engage in a vastly different conversation than most Jewish people have ever had with a Christian
- Two Messiahs or two manifestations? The importance of understanding the difference between Messiah ben David and Messiah ben Joseph
- Two kinds of peace, and the one the Messiah had to bring first
- Why Isaiah 53 can’t be about Israel
- The difference between three Gods and three expressions of Him
- Evidence of the Trinity in the Hebrew Scriptures
Ezra urges that if you get only one thing from this episode, get this: As a Gentile, you’re not there to invite a Jewish person to convert to another religion and receive your Savior. You’re there to share how the God of Israel brought you into His family through the Messiah sent to the Jewish people first.
Words you might learn
Dual Covenant Theology, mitzvot, Yeshua ben David, Messiah ben David, Messiah ben Yosef, ecclesia, anti-missionary, Shema Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai echad, b’yachad, Yeshua
Acts 4:12, Romans 3:10, Psalm 14:1, Ecclesiastes 7:20, Ruth 1:16, Deuteronomy 18:15, Isaiah 53, John 1:29 and 36, Romans 1:16, Matthew 15:24, Zechariah 14:8, Matthew 20:28, Isaiah 53:1–5, Matthew 22:44, Luke 11:2, 2 Corinthians 4:4, Ephesians 2:8–9, Jeremiah 1:15, Psalm 48:1–2, Exodus 4:22, Isaiah 10:32, Lamentations 3:22, Ezekiel 6:8, Isaiah 53:9, Psalm 133:1, Genesis 1:2, Jeremiah 31:9, Genesis 32:22–30, John 10:11, John 10:29–31, Isaiah 9:6
Other episodes mentioned
- Episode 36 – Problems with the Church Replacing Israel
- Episode 37 – Does the Bible Say the Church is the New Israel?
- Episode 41 – How to Share Jesus with a Jewish Friend – Awkward but Important
- Episode 43 (following this episode) – Shema Israel – Jewish Problems with the Trinity
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know. Let them in on these exciting conversations, and spark some of your own discussions among friends. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss will also help spread the word to others about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.