How do a Jewish boy and a Catholic girl fall in love and get married? And once they do, then what? In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly and Ezra talk with Aaron and Maria Baer to hear the story of their mixed marriage and how they make it work.
Aaron is the president of the Center for Christian Virtue based in Columbus, Ohio, and was a guest early on in J&G’s inaugural season to talk about Jewish Believers in Politics. Maria is a prolific freelance writer, stay-at-home mom and fellow podcaster.
The time flies in this warm and casual interview as Carly and Ezra engage the Baers about
- How they each came to faith in Jesus from their different backgrounds
- How their families responded when they began dating
- Concerns they had when dating someone of another faith background
- Their perspective on making a mixed marriage work
- The backstory to how they met and fell in love
- How they are choosing to raise their children
Along the way
Along the way, you’ll hear Aaron and Maria share
- Two funny things that were more important to Aaron’s Jewish grandmother than the idea of him marrying a non-Jewish girl
- Maria’s first Seder
- Aaron’s funny Seder story about the sudden change in his duties
- The sermon that knocked Maria off her feet about understanding the Jewish roots of Christianity
- Their opinion of the most important thing in a marriage
- Why God was against intermarrying
- Two vital things to understand – one for Gentiles and one for Jewish people
- What being one in marriage means
- Encouragement to not fear your differences but set your focus in the right place
Words you might learn in this episode
Chanukah, Seder, Haggadah
Scriptures referenced in this episode
Mark 8:34, Deuteronomy 7:3–4, 2 Corinthians 6:14, Nehemiah 13:23–31, Matthew 6:33
Other episodes mentioned:
#40 Staying Jewish – Love and Marriage, with special guests Joshua and Monique Brumbach
#9 Jewish Believers in Politics, with Aaron Baer
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Enter our monthly drawing at www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org, and you could win a free bag of some of the finest Ethiopian coffee in the world from Lost Tribes Coffee Co.
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. So, if you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know. Let them in on these exciting conversations, and spark some of your own discussions among friends. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss will also help spread the word to others about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.