With special guests Michael and Vanessa Mistretta
What’s it really like to pick up your life and move to Israel? Why would anyone do that? In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly and Ezra talk with Michael and Vanessa Mistretta about how their very different immigration stories have one thing in common: God calling them.
Michael and Vanessa lead FIRM, Fellowship of Israel Related Ministries, based in Jerusalem. You’ll hear about:
- Their upbringings and backstories of how they each decided to immigrate to Israel
- The process of “making aliyah,” timeframes, and milestones in that journey
- If Israel can revoke your citizenship after learning you believe in Jesus
- How different is Israel from North American life
- Any surprises they experienced after moving there
- Their thoughts about the future of the Messianic Jewish community in Israel
Along the way
During the fascinating and very personal conversation, you’ll also learn about:
- Vanessa’s journey from resistance to embracing God’s call to immigrate to Israel
- Why Michael chose to make his first trip to Israel by backpack rather than a tour
- How each of their families responded to the idea of them moving to Israel
- Each of their “this is it” moments when they knew they would make Israel their home
- The surprise Michael learned about his family heritage after he was already living in Israel
- Some of the steps and documentation needed to immigrate to Israel
- God’s hand in their achieving Israeli citizenship
- A rabbi’s list no one seems to know about
- Why Israel is opposed to accepting Jewish Believers as immigrants
- Benefits given to Jewish immigrants that help them get settled
- How the issue of Jesus is very much a hot button
- Making peace with obedience when it brings a measure of loss with it
- Encouragement about the status of Messianic Jews in Israel and the hope for the futur
Words you might learn in this episode
Related podcast episodes
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. So, if you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know. Let them in on these exciting conversations, and spark some of your own discussions among friends. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss will also help spread the word to others about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.